There are quite a few mental health bills that have recently been introduced in the Wisconsin Legislature, many with potential to affect services in currently under-served areas of the state.
The Wisconsin Suicide Prevention Task Force has released a package of bills ranging from youth peer counseling to educational grants for reducing social isolation among farmers. There are bills to increase psychiatric hospital beds and to place psychiatric crisis facilities around the state. You’ll also want to learn what’s happening with Expreme Risk Protection Orders, which intend to reduce suicide rates.
To learn about these bills and more, join a conference call with Crystal Hester, NAMI Wisconsin’s Public Policy and Advocacy Director. You’ll come away informed, with talking points to use when advocating in your community and with your state legislators:
When: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 – 4:00 PM
Where: Conference Line – 1-888-537-7715
All NAMI members are welcome to join this call. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 21, 2019.
- Welcome and Introductions: Sita Diehl
- Speaker: Crystal Hester – Pending State Mental Health Legislation
- Updates and Announcements
Send us your thoughts and questions: Crystal Hester, email@example.com; Sita Diehl, firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Speaker
Crystal Hester, MSW has served as Public Policy and Advocacy Director for NAMI Wisconsin for the past four years. In addition to providing individual advocacy for consumers and families, she advocates for state-level changes in our mental health system. She is a member of the Governor’s Wisconsin Council on Mental Health, and Chairs the Legislative & Policy Committee, and subcommittee of the Council.
Crystal received her Bachelors of Social Work from UW-Whitewater in 2010, spent two years in the Peace Corps in Kenya as a Public Health Educator, and completed her Masters of Social Work at George Williams College of Aurora University in 2015. Crystal says her time overseas made her realize her passion for social justice, health equity, and systems-level change. In her free time she enjoys brunching on weekends, tending to her 50+ house plants, and watching crime and mystery shows.
- Speaker’s Task Force on Suicide Prevention: https://legis.wisconsin.gov/2019/committees/assembly/suicideprevention
- Dueling Bills Aim To Create More Emergency Mental Health Beds In Western, Northern Wisconsin: https://www.wpr.org/dueling-bills-aim-create-more-emergency-mental-health-beds-western-northern-wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democratic Lawmakers Unveil Red Flag Gun Law Proposal: https://www.wuwm.com/post/wisconsin-democratic-officials-unveil-red-flag-gun-law-proposal#stream/0